F.A. Charter Standard Club


Under 15's

Eagles Home Page Rules & Regulations Club History Contacts Messageboard

Report by Mick McCarron

  Sunday 16th March 2008


Under 15s - Burton Junior Football League

League Cup Semi-Final

Gresley Rovers Lions 5 Rocester Elkes Eagles 4

REE travelled to Burton on Sunday morning to play Division 2 winners Gresley Rovers Lions in the Under 15's Cup Semi-final.

Kicking off against a very strong wind Eagles struggled with Lions direct style of play.

As has been the case in numerous games this season Eagles went behind early on when the Lions forward finished well after being left unmarked just inside the area.

Lions went two ahead in 10 minutes when a wind assisted goal kick out foxed the Eagles defence and goalkeeper, allowing the Lions centre forward to nip in and score.

Further misery for Eagles in 33 when a throw in was not dealt with and the Lions forward given too much time to turn and hit a shot into the bottom corner.

To their credit Eagles went straight up the other end and pulled a goal back through Redshaw, and although we had other chances in the first half none were converted.

HT  3 : 1

With the wind at their backs Eagles were expected to come out with all guns blazing, but that didn't happen as Lions went 4-1 up on 48 minutes.

Changes were made to the Eagles team and immediate results transpired when Sean Dunion scored two quick goals in the 57th and 58th minutes, one with his right foot and the other an excellent headed finish from Redlar's cross.

Eagles were now dominating the game and were encamped in the Gresley half, however as has been the case in numerous games this season our chances came and went.

Dunion finally scored the equaliser in the 70th minute when his volley from fully 25 yards flew into the top corner of the net.

From this point on it seemed there was only going to be one winner as Eagles were rampant.

However, with five minutes left the Lions broke upfield when their left winger looked to have fouled Jones only to be given the advantage by the referee. He crossed the ball for their right winger to nip in behind Greg Fearn to snatch what turned out to be the winner.

Eagles still had time to create more chances, again which they failed to take.

FT 5 : 4

Credit to Gresley Lions as they defended resolutely in the second half, riding their luck on more than one occasion. Luck is what you need to win cups, so who knows. Good Luck to them in the final, which should be played at Rocester FC in May.

Eagles now need to pick themselves up for the fight to win the Division One Championship. With six games to go they lie six points behind leaders Moira United Woulds, with two games in hand.

This Sunday Eagles are away to Edge Hill Red, kick off 14:00 at Stapenhill

Team: M. Jessup; C. Jones; G. Fearn; M. McCarron; M. Sanders; J. Redlar; H. Coley-Fisher; B. Price; A. Johnson; J. Handforth; M. Redshaw; Subs(used) R. Greaves; S. Dunion; L. Mills; R. Bentley, (not used) G. Sucksmith.