F.A. Charter Standard Club


Under 15's

Eagles Home Page Rules & Regulations Club History Contacts Messageboard

Report by Mick McCarron

  Sunday 2nd March 2008

Under 15s - Burton Junior Football League - Friel Homes Division One.

Rocester Elkes Eagles 6 Marlborough Rovers 1

Rocester Elkes Eagles entertained last seasons runners up Marlborough Rovers on Sunday morning at a blustery Abbotsholme - fortunately for both teams the wind blew across the pitch rather than end to end.

The game started with Marlborough taking the game to Eagles and they could have taken the lead when a header was well saved  by Smith.

Eagles too had their chances and should have gone ahead on 13 when Sean Dunion fired high and wide from 12 yards.

Marlborough took the lead in 20 minutes when their forward got in behind Jez Redlar to finish neatly with his head following a free kick.

Eagles were put under a lot of pressure but they equalised through Joe Handforth, who finished bravely with an angled drive into the bottom corner after a great through ball by Henry Coley-Fisher.
HT: 1 - 1
Eagles took the lead two minutes into the second half when Jez Redlar stabbed the ball home from close range.

Eagles continued to attack but failed to break down a resolute Rovers defence. Rovers themselves were dangerous on the break without really troubling Jessup.

After 62 minutes Eagles went further ahead through Matt Redshaw when he found the net after being one on one with the Marlborough keeper, firing his first shot directly at him before scoring off the rebound.

A fantastic brave save by Jessup kept Eagles two goal margin after he dived at the centre forwards feet to gather the ball well.

Eagles continued to dominate and they scored three more in the final seven minutes.

Joe Handforth scored his second goal to make it 4-1 on 73 minutes, and he was the denied his hat-trick when his rocket shot was well saved by the Rovers Keeper.

Michael McCarron volleyed into the net following a Richard Greaves corner and Redshaw made it six, finishing from close range in the final minute.
FT: 6 - 1
A  great second half performance from Eagles saw them maintain their title push for this season. Marlborough to their credit never gave up, and had the upper hand for most of the first half in a classic game of two halves.

Team: J.Smith; C.Jones; G.Fearn; M.McCarron; M.Sanders; H.Coley-Fisher; B.Price; J.Redlar; M.Redshaw; R.Bentley; S.Dunion: subs(all used) M.Jessup; J.Handforth; L.Mills; R.Greaves; A.Johnson.

No game next week for Eagles. Next Game is the Cup semi-final against Gresley Rovers, kick off 10:30 at the Marlpitt Burton, Sunday 16 March.